WRF 2016 Major Release
WRF Release Information
The latest WRF release is Version 3.8 (April 2016). While details on it may be
WRF V3.8, some of the new features are as follows.
- Software: Vertical nesting improvements,
Parallel nest decomposition for HWRF
- Physics: K-F CuP scheme, Theta-m mods, HRRR physics updates,
Aerosol (Thompson)-radiation interactions
- WRFDA: AMSR-2 obs, Dynamic constraint for hybrid DA
- WRF-Chem: Dust scheme improvements
- WRF-Hydro: Updated code
- HWRF: 2015 Operational changes, Ferrier-Aligo microphysics
- WPS: GMTED topo dataset
The next minor WRF release will be in Summer 2016, while the next
major relase will be in Spring 2017. The timeline for the major release
is given below. A sampling of potential features
will be posted in Fall 2016, but ultimate inclusion of any candidate is not
guaranteed in advance and is dependent on timely preparation and acceptance
of the related code.
Developers seeking to propose code for new or improved capabilities
for the WRF system must review
Prospective contributors may write to firstname.lastname@example.org for
information and for contacting
the Developers' Committee (which oversees WRF contributions
and manages the repository) or the Release Committee (which oversees major
releases). Both the Developers' Committee and the Release Committee
are described in
Repository and Release Administration.
The consideration of any code for inclusion in the WRF repository or a
release depends on the developer's following the physics review
procedures, meeting the testing and documentation
requirements, and meeting the release schedule.
Developers should familiarize themselves with
for Code Contributors. Developers and contributors
may contact email@example.com for information on
how to prepare and provide their code to the Developers' Committee.
Timeline— 2017 WRF Major Release
The timeline for the next major WRF release, scheduled for
Spring 2017, is as follows. "RC" refers to the Release Committee;
"DC" refers to the Developers' Committee.
Early September 2016
6-month advance date
- RC begins meetings for major release cycle.
- WRF users notified of release and reminded of
where to find requirements and procedures for code submission.
Code accepted and admitted to the repository
through this time may be included in the release. Code submissions
must undergo all preliminary testing and acceptance by this time
frame in order to be considered for the release. After this time
the repository will remain open to submissions, but new features
will not be eligible for the release.
Release code testing and first friendly-use release
- Only bugfixes for preliminary release code permitted.
- WRF repository remains open for
code additions, which will in line for the subsequent releases.
- First friendly-user release— preliminary code made available for testing.
Late February 2017
- Second friendly-user release— updated preliminary
code made available for testing.
- Remaining bug fixes implemented.
- Full set of regression tests run on machines at NCAR.
- Final round of large testing. RC and DC meetings focus on status of code and testing.
- DC certifies code (final approval) for release. Code packaged and staged for release.
The WRF Release Committee oversees the major releases of WRF. It
is described in the policies for NCAR's administration of the WRF code in WRF Code Repository and Release Administration. The members are listed below.
Jordan Powers, NCAR/MMM— Chairman
Ravan Ahmadov, NOAA/ESRL
Michael Barlage, NCAR/RAL
Mrinal Biswas, DTC
Tom Black, NOAA/NCEP
Laurie Carson, DTC
Jimy Dudhia, NCAR/MMM
Dave Gill, NCAR/MMM
Georg Grell, NOAA/ESRL
Michael Kavulich, NCAR/MMM
Steven Peckham, CRREL
Wei Wang, NCAR/MMM
Wei Yu, NCAR/RAL