WRF 2014 Major Release
WRF Release Information
The most recent major WRF release is Version 3.6 (April 18, 2014),
and the most recent minor relase is WRF V3.6.1 (August 14, 2014).
The details on these may be found through this page: WRF Downloads and Information.
The next major WRF release will be WRF Version 3.7 (V3.7) in Spring 2015.
The timeline for it
is given below. A sampling of potential features for V3.7 is listed, and this
will evolve as contributions are received and testing is performed.
Developers seeking to have their codes for new or improved capabilities
for the WRF system considered for the 2015 release must review
Information for Code Contributors.
Prospective contributors may write to firstname.lastname@example.org for information and for contacting
the Developers' Committee, which oversees WRF code contributions
and manages the repository, or the Release Committee, which oversees the major
release process. Both the Developers' Committee and the Release Committee
are described in
Repository and Release Administration.
WRF Version 3.7
This is a preliminary list of features that may appear in the
2015 major release, WRF V3.7. The inclusion of any code in a
release depends on its following testing requirements
and meeting the release schedule deadlines.
- Software: Parallel I/O, Vertical nesting, CF compliance
- Physics: New sea surface aerodynamic roughness scheme,
Selected scale-aware PBL and Cu schemes, Climatological ozone information for
- WRFDA: Revision to radar data assimilation codes, GenBE updates
- WRF-Chem: CB5 mechanism, GOCART background fields from WPS
- WRF-Hydro: Channel routing optimization, New groundwater model,
Rapid model computation option
Developers may have code considered for the
release as long as the timeline and the procedures for
contribution are met (see Information
for Code Contributors). As described in Information for Code Contributors and
Testing Information for Contributors,
developers and contributors may contact email@example.com for information on providing
their code to a member of the Developers' Committee and
on preparing and testing it prior to submission.
Timeline— WRF Version 3.7
The timeline for the next major WRF release, projected as WRF V3.7
in Spring 2015, is as follows.
"RC" refers to the Release Committee; "DC" refers to the Developers' Committee.
"R" refers to the target release date.
Early September 2014
Approx. 6-mo advance date (R-6m)
- RC begins meetings for major release cycle.
- WRF users notified of release and provided
information on dates and where to find requirements and procedures.
September 30, 2014
- Notices of intent to submit code are due from potential
October 31, 2014
Approx. 4-mo advance date (R-4m)
- New code or modifications from outside contributors
must be provided to the RC point of contact or the DC. Code must
have been run through the required testing.
December 1, 2014
Approx. 3-mo advance date (R-3m)
- Repository frozen (bugfixes excepted).
- Check on new features for the release is discussed by the RC
Mid-Late January 2015
- 1st friendly-user release. Preliminary release code made available for
- 2nd friendly-user release. Updated preliminary release
code made available for testing.
- Remaining bug fixes implemented.
- Full set of regression tests run on machines at NCAR.
- Weekly RC meetings.
Early March 2015
- Final round of large testing. RC and DC meetings focus on status of code and testing.
Late March to Early April 2015
- DC certifies code (final approval) for release. Code packaged and staged for release.
The WRF Release Committee oversees the major releases of WRF. It
is described in the policies for NCAR's administration of the WRF code in WRF Code Repository and Release Administration. The members are listed below.
Jordan Powers, NCAR/MMM— Chairman
Michael Barlage, NCAR/RAL
Mrinal Biswas, DTC
Tom Black, NOAA/NCEP
Jimy Dudhia, NCAR/MMM
Dave Gill, NCAR/MMM
Georg Grell, NOAA/ESRL
Michael Kavulich, NCAR/MMM
Steven Peckham, NOAA/ESRL
Wei Wang, NCAR/MMM
Jamie Wolff, DTC
Wei Yu, NCAR/RAL