WRF 2014 Major Release
WRF Release Information
The most recent major WRF release is Version 3.6, issued April 18, 2014.
The final release details are provided here: WRF V3.6 Information and Download.
The next major WRF release will be in Spring 2015. The timeline for it
is shown below.
Developers seeking to have their codes for new or improved capabilities
for the WRF system considered for the 2015 release must review
Information for Code Contributors.
Prospective contributors may write to firstname.lastname@example.org for information and for contacting
the Developers' Committee, which oversees WRF code contributions
and manages the repository, or the Release Committee, which oversees the major
release process. Both the Developers' Committee and the Release Committee
are described in
Repository and Release Administration.
WRF V3.6, 2014 Major Release
A sample of V3.6 features is shown below.
The inclusion of any code in a release is dependent on the code's
following testing and preparation requirements and meeting the deadlines for
submission, testing, and revision. Developers may have code considered for a
release as long as the timeline and the procedures for
contribution are met (see Information
for Code Contributors). As described in Information for Code Contributors and
Testing Information for Contributors,
developers and contributors may contact email@example.com for information on providing their code to a member of the Developers' Committee and
on preparing and testing it prior to submission.
- Lake model added
- Physics: HUJI spectral bin scheme added, Thompson aerosol-aware
scheme implemented, NSSL 2-moment scheme updated, Milbrandt scheme improved
- WRFDA: Upgraded 4DVAR radar data assimilation scheme, new cycled 3DVAR
radar data assimilation scheme
- WRF-Chem: Removal of undocumented features, improved capabilities
of existing packages, changes to handling of anthropogenic emissions
- WRF-Hydro: Noah MP with WRF-Hydro added, CLM interface added
- HWRF: Multiple storm-following nests
- Software framework: Moving nest use of high-res terrain/landuse
datasets; Improvements to netCDF write calls
Timeline— WRF 2015 Major Release
The timeline for the next major WRF release, which will be in 2015,
is as follows.
"RC" refers to the Release Committee; "DC" refers to the Developers' Committee.
"R" refers to the target release date.
Early September 2014
Approx. 6-mo advance date (R-6m)
- WRF users reminded of release and provided
information on dates and where to find requirements and procedures.
- RC begins meetings for release cycle.
September 30, 2014
- Notices of intent to submit code are due from potential
November 1, 2014
Approx. 4-mo advance date (R-4m)
- New code or modifications from outside contributors
must be provided to the RC point of contact or the DC. Code must
have been run through the required testing.
December 1, 2014
Approx. 3-mo advance date (R-3m)
- Repository frozen (bugfixes excepted).
- Check on new features for the release is discussed by the RC
Late January 2015
- First friendly-user release. Preliminary code made available for
Late February 2015
- Second friendly-user release. Code made available for
- Remaining bug fixes implemented.
- Full set of regression tests run on machines at NCAR.
- Weekly RC meetings.
Early March 2015
- Final round of large testing. RC and DC meetings focus on status of code and testing.
- DC certifies code (final approval) for release. Code packaged and staged for release.
Late March 2015
The WRF Release Committee oversees the major releases of WRF. It
is described in the policies for NCAR's administration of the WRF code in WRF Code Repository and Release Administration. The members are listed below.
Jordan Powers, NCAR/MMM— Chairman
Michael Barlage, NCAR/RAL
Mrinal Biswas, DTC
Tom Black, NOAA/NCEP
Jimy Dudhia, NCAR/MMM
Dave Gill, NCAR/MMM
Georg Grell, NOAA/ESRL
Michael Kavulich, NCAR/MMM
Steven Peckham, NOAA/ESRL
Wei Wang, NCAR/MMM
Jamie Wolff, DTC
Wei Yu, NCAR/RAL