WRF 2014 Major Release
WRF Release Information
The most recent major WRF release is Version 3.7 (April 2015).
While the details on this may be found at: WRF Downloads and Information, new features and capabilites
include the following.
- Software: Memory use reduction, Parallel I/O, CF compliance
- Physics: New Tiedke cumulus parameterization, New Shin-Hong PBL
scheme, Multi-scale Kain-Fritsch cumulus scheme, Revised MM5 surface layer scheme,
Enhanced urban canopy model, Updated Noah-MP and RUC LSMs
- WRFDA: New background error option, New BE generation code version,
New physics options for 4DVAR, Addition of data types
- WRF-Chem: CB5 mechanism, Aqueous chem updates
- WRF-Hydro: Version 3.0
Developers seeking to have their codes for new or improved capabilities
for the WRF system considered for a release must review
Information for Code Contributors.
Prospective contributors may write to email@example.com for information and for contacting
the Developers' Committee (which oversees WRF code contributions
and manages the repository) or the Release Committee (which oversees the major
release process). Both the Developers' Committee and the Release Committee
are described in
Repository and Release Administration.
The consideration of any code for inclusion in the WRF repository or a
release depends on the developer's following all commit request documentation and
testing requirements and meeting the release schedule deadlines.
Developers may have code considered for a release
as long as both the procedures for
code contribution and the timelines for the release are met, and they should
familiarize themselves with Information
for Code Contributors. Developers and contributors may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on providing
their code to a member of the Developers' Committee and
on preparing and testing it prior to offering it.
Timeline— 2016 WRF Major Release
The timeline for the next major WRF release, projected for
Spring 2016, is currently as follows.
"RC" refers to the Release Committee; "DC" refers to the Developers' Committee.
"R" refers to the target release date.
Early September 2015
Approx. 6-mo advance date (R-6m)
- RC begins meetings for major release cycle.
- WRF users notified of release and provided
information on dates and where to find requirements and procedures.
September 30, 2015
- Notices of intent to submit code are due from potential
October 31, 2015
Approx. 4-mo advance date (R-4m)
- New code or modifications from outside contributors
must be provided to the RC point of contact or the DC. Code must
have been run through the required testing.
December 1, 2015
Approx. 3-mo advance date (R-3m)
- Release branch cutoff date or repository freeze
(if no release branch) (bugfixes excepted).
- Check on new features for the release is discussed by the RC
Mid-Late January 2016
- 1st friendly-user release. Preliminary release code made available for
- 2nd friendly-user release. Updated preliminary release
code made available for testing.
- Remaining bug fixes implemented.
- Full set of regression tests run on machines at NCAR.
- Weekly RC meetings.
Early March 2016
- Final round of large testing. RC and DC meetings focus on status of code and testing.
Late March to Early April 2016
- DC certifies code (final approval) for release. Code packaged and staged for release.
The WRF Release Committee oversees the major releases of WRF. It
is described in the policies for NCAR's administration of the WRF code in WRF Code Repository and Release Administration. The members are listed below.
Jordan Powers, NCAR/MMM— Chairman
Michael Barlage, NCAR/RAL
Mrinal Biswas, DTC
Tom Black, NOAA/NCEP
Jimy Dudhia, NCAR/MMM
Dave Gill, NCAR/MMM
Georg Grell, NOAA/ESRL
Michael Kavulich, NCAR/MMM
Steven Peckham, NOAA/ESRL
Wei Wang, NCAR/MMM
Jamie Wolff, DTC
Wei Yu, NCAR/RAL